11 years ago today, my dad died from cancer. This year for some reason it hit me a lot harder (maybe due to lack of sleep). It didn't help that I couldn't find many pictures of him today (the ones above are the only ones I could find) - that made it really hard for some reason. There are so many things I miss about him and reasons I wish he was here. A few reasons why I wish he were here:
- to meet Ed
- to take my boys to football games
- to go to my boys' soccer games
- to see me as a mom
- to give me advise
- to give me a hug
- to take care of my mom (so she wasn't so lonely and so she didn't have to work so hard)
- and a million other reasons
Memories I have of him:
- watching detective shows with me
- asking silly questions about what is happening in a TV show or movie
- saying he has never seen a movie before until 2 hours into it and then finally realizing he had seen it
- riding horses
- him making me branding cows (and breaking needle after needle in the cows)
- going to Disneyland & the beach
- going camping & fishing
- helping me with my homework
- always being there for me
- going on round-ups
- and about a million more
He was such a great man and the best dad in the world. I really do miss him!
8 comments:
We absolutely have the best dad in the world. I miss him so much it hurts my heart. I think the worst part is our kids don't get to have him as a grandpa. He would have been the best. The next worst part is mom missing her best friend. He is my example in life though. I hope to be as great as him someday. Thank you for sharing your memories - they are mine too. You should have told me why you were furiously looking for pictures last night. I totally didn't know the date. I am so drugged and out of touch. Now I feel guilty.
I remember so well those last few months and how hard it was. I never got to meet him but I really wish he were still around. I'm so glad you had Ed to help you pull through this right after it happened. Hurray for eternal families. . .
Michelle, you are a wonderful friend and an even better mother, and that is a real tribute to your dad. You are half of him, and so he must have been an amazing person.
I loved reading your thoughts and memories about him, I am typing this through my own tears.
What a way to make someone tear up Shelle! I totally spaced the date also. Sorry I didn't give ya a call and say hi. I don't think it ever goes away or every gets easier!! But the memories of your dad from everyone are all great and positive. There was not a bad bone in his body! We is truely missed by everyone!
I'm sorry it was a hard day for you. It is interesting with a death of a family member how some years are so much harder than others and it's usually when you don't expect it to be hard.
I'm so glad I got to know your dad for a little while. The thing I am saddest about is my kids not having him as a grandpa. He was amazing which is evident by the lives of his kids and the legacy he left behind.
I am so sorry you had a hard day. I did try and call you that night and you were on a walk. I have no doubt in my mind that your dad smiles down on you everyday. You are a real prize daughter.
Love you, girl. I loved learning more about your dad. There is no way he wasn't amazing. I know your mom and you...HELLO! He had to be.
Dani
PS I do the movie thing where it takes me a whole movie to realize I had already seen it. That's not normal? Dang.
You are an amazing daughter (and friend). You are such a great example of all the things that your sweet dad taught you. Thank you for reminding me to cherish the little moments we have with our family (and friends). Hugs...sorry I didn't call or remember.
Michelle,
Totally caught off guard by your post and it brought me to tears. I actually think of him a lot, he made a great impression on me when we were growing up. He was an amazing man and you are so lucky to call him your dad!
Wendy
Post a Comment