I am trying to be better about cooking dinner every night - but it is hard with Ed out of town or working late (he rarely is able to be home in time to eat dinner with us - it doesn't help that the kids are starving around 5:30 or 6). Anyway, I am good about cooking on Sunday but I really want to be better about cooking every night (okay, most nights). But I also need them to be pretty simple since my kids are extremely picky eaters (that is probably because I am a very picky eater too). Anyway, I would LOVE any ideas that you guys have and/or recipes. I would love to know what you guys cook for dinner during a "normal" week. Thanks!
7 comments:
I don't know if your kids will eat this but we love it. If you get some romen noodles and add a can of corn and a can of green beans it is really quick. It takes like 10 minutes.
Tonight we had rice with broccoli & chicken soup sauce.
I put the rice in the rice cooker, boiled the broccoli, drained it and added cream of chicken soup, milk (1/2 can per can of soup) and some shredded cheese. You can add sour cream and/or some spices if you want, but the cheese made it pretty yummy by itself.
My kids love breakfast for dinner. I can only make it when Troy is not around since he hates breakfast for dinner. Another thing that is easy that my kids like is Chicken Roni. It is rice-a-roni (any flaver you like) cooked according to the box. While that is cooking I cut up chicken breasts into bit size pieces and cook in a frying pan. When the rice-a-roni is done I mix chicken, rice-a-roni and a container of sour cream together. It is easy and they all love it.
Besides quick and easy meals I also love to have freezer meals on hand. What I do is when I make something (like for Sunday dinner) I just make two and freeze one. Then when I don't feel like cooking or have activities at night (like soccer or piano or gymnastics....) I have a dinner already made! Our favorite frozen meals are porcupine meatballs and chicken cordon bleu.
A quick and easy meal is making calzones out of Rhodes rolls. Thaw rolls (2 per calzone). Then flatten roll and add sauce, cheese, sausage, pepperoni, olives, etc--whatever you want. Cover with another flatten roll and pinch sides closed with a fork. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes on 350 degrees and PRESTO dinner is served!
My kids love tacos (Jeff and I usually have taco salad -- heavy on the lettuce, tomato, cucumber and black beans, light on the fritos and cheese). It's nice because everyone can make their own the way they like it.
We also do pasta when we are in a hurry. When I make spaghetti sauce I make a bunch and freeze the extra in dinner-sized portions. Then we can cook whatever kind of noodles we want and warm up the sauce in a hurry. In the pasta family, we also like the spinach ravioli from costco, which I cook with extra macaroni b/c some of the kids prefer plain noodles. Sometimes I serve it with spaghetti sauce and sometimes I serve it in a salad, it's good either way.
My current system is to cook on Monday and Tuesday (my least busy days) and make enough to have leftovers on Wednesday and Thursday, when our nights are crazy. Then Friday & Saturday we either go out or make a family favorite (pizza, taco/salad, spinach rav., hamburgers, etc.) and I try to do something nice for Sunday. It works out pretty well.
One more thought -- on the nights when I'm in enough of a hurry that I just do hot dogs or nuggets, I don't feel nearly as guilty about it if I slice a cucumber and an apple or put out a bowl of carrots and some grapes. Tonight will be one of those nights!
I was so excited when I saw your title of this post ... and then I read the help! I thought you were going to give ME quick dinner ideas! :) I do spaghetti, chili, tacos (chicken ones from Michelle's recipe, hamburger ones or shredded beef from leftover roasts - I always cook my own shells though - just makes them so much better!). Not really exciting or great. I have a hard time cooking too!
Post a Comment